Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Grumpy people who work for charities

In the past month, I have given a number of things to charities such as Goodwill Industries and the Salvation Army. Now, I know that the people I meet in the course of this are not the idealists who run the organizations, but most likely paid employees working for not very generous pay. Sadly, I have found that many of them are rather bad-tempered and rude. I get a feeling of resentment that they have to do this. When trying to donate the contents of a house, worth many thousands of dollars to the Salvation Army, no-one said "thank you," but only issued peremptory orders, about "if you are not there when we tell you to be, we will drive on and you will have to reschedule!"

Overall, the experience has been unpleasant enough that I would hesitate about doing it again. I think that the charities should stress good manners more to their employees.

No comments: