Sunday, September 24, 2006

"I don't know" - A powerful tool

I have never undertood why saying "I don't know" is such a difficult thing. However much I do know, there is much more which I do not. Admitting that I do not know, or do not know everything about the topic may result in learning something new. "I already know about that" is the phrase which will ensure that you never learn any more about it. So many of us get into trouble because we assume we know something, but do not know it well enough.

Many years ago, a major consulting firm's Brussels office carried out a three month investigation of the European market for hockey equipment. Only when the client arrives in Brussels for the presentation did everyone discover that the firm has investigated the market for field hockey (more common in Europe), whereas the client meant the ice hockey market!

No comments: