Sunday, April 01, 2007

Criticized for sharing the credit

One of the most important elements in successful management of people is to share the credit. I once had a boss who stunned me by telling me that I should not share the credit with subordinates, and he expected me to take the credit for anything they did for myself. Sadly, this was more of a reflection on him than on me. He felt so insecure that he would not allow his direct reports to meet without him being present. He assumed that all his subordinates were out to get him, and that the mark of a good manager was to suppress all their subordinates so they could never threaten.

He used to do anything he could to divide and conquer. For example, he used to tell each manager that the others disliked them, and he was their only protector. As I discuss good bosses, I will also flag such dangerous behavior.

No comments: